'

Monday, May 28, 2012

Are we turning into design zombies???


I'm glad I came across this article in the New York Times (via Decorno).
It really struck a cord with me as I was just about to post about drinks carts...
The author argues that we are becoming increasingly overstyled. Here's an excerpt:

Ah, the bar cart. If there’s one thing that typifies the self-consciously styled home, it may be that. Evoking a mythical Hollywood Regency glamour, the bar cart telegraphs that the resident leads a life as rich as a socialite in a Slim Aarons photo and is constantly entertaining at home, though in reality it’s a prop that mostly collects dust. (This reporter should know: of the three pieces of furniture in his living room, one is a bar cart that’s still waiting for its first party.)   
  
The piece did make me more self-conscious about my design crushes and obsessions.
Also worth reading are the comments after Decorno's post - readers confessing
 the trend-traps they've fallen into... most of them sound familiar to me! Made me
wonder: am I being too materialistic? Is this desire to be surrounded only
by a certain type of objects creepy?..
 
 
I agree with the idea that a certain cluster of society is becoming increasingly
style-conscious. Yes, at times we really overdo it. At times it does seem that
 this new type of consumerism is a substantial threat to genuine individuality,
originality etc.

I would like to believe I'm not a design zombie yet.
I often catch myself enjoying a photograph of a space that is a little less styled,
a little more innocent. One that doesn't fall into the obvious categories. They leave
room for the imagination, and I find them inspirational. And to be sure, my home
looks nothing like the images I post...

 Concerning the drinks cart: it's not that I intend to host fancy cocktail parties really. 
It's just that those drinks bottles tend to gather dust in the most inconvenient
places (dark sideaboards, makeshift shelves) - why not allow them some spotlight
on a pretty drinks cart? Common sense, right?..

So here they are, the culprits of this very wordy post.


Džiaugiuosi, kad užtikau šį straipsnį New York Times (per Decorno).
Man pasirodė labai ironiška, nes kaip tik ruošiausi įkelti keletą gėrimų vežimėlių
nuotraukų...

Straipsnio autorius teigia, kad tampame per daug stilizuoti. Taipogi
verta paskaityti komentarus po Decorno postu: skaitytojai atskleidžia,
į kokius stilizavimo spąstus patys yra pakliuvę. Dauguma jų man pažįstami...
Susimąsčiau: gal iš tiesų skiriama per daug dėmesio detalėmis? Gal aš
tapau visiška materialiste? Gal šis troškimas būti tik tam tikros rūšies,
tam tikro stiliaus daiktų apsuptyje yra truputį kraupokas?..

Tikrai sutinku su mintimi, kad tam tikra visuomenės dalis vis labiau „stilizuojasi“.
Taip, kartais persistengiame. Taip, kartais atrodo, kad ši nauja vartojimo fazė kelia
grėsmę individualumui, originalumui ir tt.


Visgi norėčiau tikėti, kad dar netapau dizaino zombiu.
Neretai save pagaunu besigrožinčia nuotraukomis erdvių, kurios
nėra idealiai stilizuotos, todėl išsaugoję tam tikrą naivumą, nekaltumą.
Jose dar yra vietos vaizduotei, jos įkvepia.
Grįžtant prie gėrimų vežimėlio. Aš tikrai neįsivaizduoju savęs kaip šešto
dešimtmečio socialite, organizuojančios nesibaigiančios vakarėlius savo über stilizuotuose
 namuose. Tiesiog gėrimų buteliai dažnai tūno apdulkėję kokiame tamsiame kampe.
Kodėl gi nepastačius jų ant dailaus gėrimų vežimėlio?..

Štai jie, šio labai ilgo posto kaltininkai.



Drinks carts don't have to be about alcohol: thay can be used to showcase plants, art,
magazines etc. My favorite so far is by Niki from My Scandinavian Home.

Gėrimų vežimėliai nebūtinai turi būti naudojami pagal paskirtį; 
ant jų puikiai atrodo meno kūriniai, žurnalai, augalai ir pan. Mano favoritas -
praeito amžiaus vidurio vežimėlis iš Niki blogo My Scandinavian Home.



 
 


No Response to "Are we turning into design zombies???"

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

margas All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger